We are seeking a Senior Media Officer to join a fast paced, professional government team, reporting into the Media Manager. You will have a journalist background and understand the workings of a government institution and media department. You will be primarily based in Mascot (3/4 days) and close to the CBD (1/2 days) also.
You are a self starter who is happy to become an integral part of a team working both collaboratively and autonomously as required. You are able to identify requirements within the department and get results without waiting for formal briefings and definitely don't need to be led through the role.
The primary objective of this role is to contribute to the maintenance and enhancement of the reputation of the portfolio by supporting the implementation of both proactive and reactive media and public relations strategies, as a senior member of the Media team.
The Senior Media Officer reports to the Manager Media, along with the following positions:
• Media Officer x 3
• Media Officer x1
• Principal Media Officer
Spokesperson - Prepare and issue media statements whilst ensuring appropriate level of approval prior to release and under direction, act as organisational spokesperson as required.
Strategic Communication Advice - Support the Manager External Communications in providing advice executives and the Office of the Minister by monitoring state-wide media, preparing material for public engagements and responding to media issues and inquiries out of hours (including early morning radio) as required.
Media and Issues Management - Support the Manager External Communications in managing major media and critical issues by researching and preparing media releases and media responses. Ensure a high level of service to members of the media by providing timely and accurate responses to media inquiries. Contribute to the functioning of issues management and media monitoring services, including the dissemination of summary information the department.
External Event Management - Coordinate the event management preparation for public appearances and writing of material for public speaking by the Director General and other senior managers, to ensure event objectives are achieved.
Stakeholder Relationship Management - Build effective and collaborative relationships with the Ministers' offices, media representatives, managers across the department and other media and communications staff across the Portfolio
- Demonstrated media/journalism experience within a Government, public relations or media environment in a contentious and complex environment.
- Demonstrated experience in identifying potential critical issues, and preparing appropriate media strategies for high profile and sensitive media issues.
- Proven ability to develop, coordinate and implement effective proactive public relations or publicity strategies.
- Strategic thinking and problem solving skills and experience in applying these to improving standards of communication.
- Proven capacity for successful negotiation and influence in a challenging and complex environment.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in relation to complex matters.
- Experience in consultation and stakeholder management.
- Tertiary qualification in a relevant discipline, or equivalent experience
If you are interested in this fantastic opportunity, are available to start in early June and have the relevant skills ~ APPLY NOW
John Corrigan | Senior Talent Consultant
Sarah Shelton | Support